Our Carer Program
The WSLHD Carer Program is responsible for implementing the NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010, the NSW Carers Strategy 2020-2030 and supporting the principles of the NSW Carers Charter in this district, for carers. Carers can be patients, clients and staff.
The NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010, enacted by the NSW Parliament, formally recognises the significant economic and social contribution of carers and commits public sector and human service agencies to key obligations and reporting. The Act requires that all public sector agency staff:
- are aware of and understand the NSW Carers Charter. In addition NSW Health staff must reflect the Charter principles in their activities
- consult with carers, or organisations that represent carers, on significant policy issues that may affect them
- develop human resource policy that caters to and considers the needs of the workforce who are carers.
The NSW Carers Strategy: Caring in NSW 2020-2030 is a ten year plan to ensure the states 850,000 carers will receive better support and recognition to improve their financial and physical wellbeing.
The vision for this Strategy is that we are an inclusive and supportive community that understands that caring for and supporting each other are fundamental parts of life.
- Carers have better access to information, services and supports
- Carer are recognised, respected and empowered
- Carers have improved financial wellbeing and economic opportunities
- Carers have better health and wellbeing
The strategy will be supported by NSW Government Action Plans every two years, commencing with 2020 – 2022 and will support WSLHD’s Carer Program and obligations under the NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010.
There are many agencies that provide support to carers. Links to these agencies are on the Carers NSW website