Active travel is all about getting to school by ways other than car. In short it is using more energy to get us from home to school and back. If we sit in a car we don’t use very much energy as our body isn’t moving.
Moving our bodies is very important to our health and well-being and so active travel offers a simple way to get active and get healthy.
This might be:
- Scootering / Skateboarding
- Bus or train and then walk
Why do we want to have more Active Travel to and from school:
- Exercise before school gets children ready to learn. It leaves them more settled and less easily distracted.
- It is recommended children do more exercise and spend less time on screens. Being active on the school journey is a great way to do this.
- With more children walking, the roads become less busy. Less cars mean safer streets for our children.
- Less cars on the road means less pollution around the school and healthier children.
- Being active means you get more time to talk with your friends and family as you make your way to school.
NSW Bike Week 2019
NSW Bike Week will be held from Saturday 21st September to Sunday 29th September 2019. This is a great opportunity to host an event at your school that promotes more cycling.
Check out the website for more information on events and ideas you may have to promote cycling at your school.
For more information regarding active travel, visit the Healthy Kids website.
CHILDREN'S ACTIVE TRAVEL
If you would like more details about how you can encourage Active Travel at your School please get in touch with the Live Life Well @ School team: WSLHD-LLWats@health.nsw.gov.au