Active travel is about getting to school by ways other than car. It is using more energy to get us from home to school and back. If we sit in a car we don’t use very much energy as our body isn’t moving.
Moving our bodies is very important to our health and well-being and so active travel offers a simple way to get active and get healthy.
This might be:
- Bus or train and then walk
Why do we want to have more active travel to and from school:
- Exercise before school gets children ready to learn. It leaves them more settled and less distracted.
- We recommend children do more exercise and spend less time on screens. Being active on the school journey is a great way to do this.
- With more children walking, the roads become less busy. Less cars mean safer streets for our children.
- Less cars on the road means less pollution around the school and healthier children.
- Being active means you get more time to talk with your friends and family as you make your way to school.
For more information about active travel, visit the NSW Health website.
CHILDREN'S ACTIVE TRAVEL
Please contact the Live Life Well @ School team for more information on active travel at your school: WSLHD-LLWats@health.nsw.gov.au