As a result of dangerous weather and flooding over half a million people in NSW are now subject to evacuation orders following warnings from across the state. Your health is our priority. Here are some FAQs to assist you in trouble-shooting your health needs during the current weather event.

What if I am COVID-19 positive and in an area at risk of flooding or have received an evacuation order?

If you have been ordered to evacuate from your home, you must leave immediately and according to the orders provided by emergency services, even if you have COVID-19. An emergency evacuation is a reason to leave isolation. Do NOT remain in self-isolation at your home. You should:

  • Consider your evacuation plan.
  • Pack a bag with medicines, drinking fluids, and comfort items.
  • If you must evacuate, try stay with friends or family who are vaccinated AND aren't high-risk.
  • If you can’t stay with friends or family, you can stay at a hotel.
  • If you can’t find accommodation, go to an evacuation centre and tell staff you're isolating from COVID-19.

What should I do if I’ve just tested positive for COVID-19 and I’m currently at a flood evacuation centre?

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19:

  • Notify staff of your positive COVID-19 result.
  • Wear a mask.
  • Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
  • Practice good hand hygiene, and
  • Physical distance.

Are health services in Western Sydney Local Health District impacted by the flooding?

Hospital services in WSLHD are operating as usual, including our emergency department. Please remember emergency departments are for emergencies only.

Doonside Community Health Centre has temporarily closed due to minor building impacts. Patient care has been relocated or rescheduled. If you have an appointment coming up at this centre please call (02) 8670 3000.

If you require ongoing treatment, dialysis, cancer care, are vulnerable or are late term in your pregnancy please:

  • Watch for flood warnings.
  • Talk to your clinician about a plan.
  • Consider moving to a safer area sooner rather than later.

What should I do if I’m caught in a flood related emergency situation?

For emergency assistance in a flood or storm, call the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500.

For a medical, police or fire emergency call Triple Zero 000.

To report suspicious or unusual activity call NSW Police Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Health advice is also available 24 hours a day from healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222.