Legal & Financial Planning Support

Dealing with cancer can present significant financial or legal challenges.

Many people find the uncertainty of a cancer diagnosis one of the most difficult aspects to deal with. We know the costs associated with cancer treatment can be totally unexpected and can sometime coincide with a loss of income causing added stress and anxiety for many cancer patients.

There are services and resources available which aim to ease the financial stress and burden on you. Listed below are some resources and tools that will assist you in planning for the future.

NSW Government: Office for Ageing, NSW Trustee and Guardian and NSW Public Guardian

Australian Government- Department of Human Services (DHS)

Managing your money

Department of Human Services (DHS) provide a range of services to help you manage your money. For example, you can get information from their Financial Information Service officers, as well as services to help you manage your household bills and health expenses.

Medicare Safety Net

Couples and families do need to register for the Medicare Safety Net, even if all of your family members are listed on your Medicare card. Individuals do not need to register for the Medicare Safety Net. To register your family for the Medicare Safety Net you can call 132 011 or visit your local Department of Human Services Centre.

Download a Medicare Safety Net couples and families registration and amendment form.

Cancer Council New South Wales

Legal or financial advice

 The Legal Referral Service is free for eligible clients and can help you with:

  • Drafting your will
  • Making a power of attorney
  • Early access to superannuation
  • Credit and debt issues
  • Mortgage hardship
  • Insurance claims and disputes
  • Employment and discrimination issues
  • Tenancy disputes
The Financial Planning Referral Service can help you with:
  • Applying for Centrelink benefits
  • Budgeting
  • Planning for retirement
  • Superannuation and insurance
  • Debt management.

Cancer Council will connect you with a lawyer or financial planner who will help you. This may be at their office, or at your hospital or home. If you speak a language other than English, they can arrange an interpreter for you.

For more details click on the following link or call 13 11 20:

Cancer Council NSW – Legal and Financial Planning Support