Volunteer at Westmead
Would you like to make a difference? Join the volunteer team at Westmead Hospital.
Westmead Hospital Volunteers perform countless tasks that add an extra special touch to a patient’s journey.
Volunteers are invaluable and assist patients, visitors and staff.
AVAILABLE VOLUNTEER ROLES
- Volunteer Guide – Guides assist visitors with directions to their appointment. Working in teams Mon – Fri, each volunteer is rostered 1 day a week. Guides must be physically fit to walk around the hospital and be interested in interacting with the public.
- NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) Support Volunteer – NICU Support Volunteers offer assistance to parents and babies including sitting with newborns while parents rest or see health professionals; nursing & changing babies; washing, folding, storing blankets and other items. As well as general requirements listed below, NICU Support Volunteers must have at least 3 COVID-19 vaccinations and have or be willing to obtain Category A vaccinations (free for volunteers). Volunteers must be empathetic, be able to handle stressful situations and have an interest in caring for premature babies. Volunteers are rostered for a 4-hour shift, 1 day per week Mon – Fri and work closely with NICU staff.
Westmead Hospital Volunteers are valued members of the team and enjoy many benefits including validated parking and meal voucher on rostered days, uniform, social interaction, training, recognition and more.
All volunteers are required to
- be double vaccinated against COVID-19 and adhere to mask wearing rules
- have or be willing to obtain a Working With Children Check (WWCC). Free for volunteers
- be looking for an ongoing role with a regular weekly commitment (holidays etc can be accommodated)
- be 18 years of age or over
- have or be willing to get appropriate vaccinations (certain patient interacting roles only)
Please note, we cannot accommodate work experience or short-term volunteering requests. Volunteer roles are conducted Mon - Fri between 8am -4pm only. There are currently no weekend or evening volunteering opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY
To express your interest in joining the amazing Westmead Hospital volunteer team, please use this link to register your interest.
For more information on volunteer rights & responsibilities, benefits, policies and the code of conduct, please see the Western Sydney Local Health District Volunteer Manual.
Volunteer Services Manager