Oral Health promotion aims to improve awareness of dental health and provide information on how to care for your teeth and mouth. A healthy mouth is important as it allows us to smile, speak and eat with confidence and without pain.
Many oral health diseases can be prevented by changing to healthier habits which also improve your general health and wellbeing. Western Sydney Local Health District is committed to promoting oral health.
Request an Oral Health Education Session
WSLHD offers Oral Health Promotion Sessions for education and training on caring for oral health. These sessions are available in-person or online for your professional or community group. Sessions can be tailored for your needs, and can include education on:
- Providing oral care across all ages, including adults and older people
- Caring for your teeth and mouth
- Caring for other’s mouths
- Healthy food and drink choices
- Caring for your dentures
- Keeping children’s mouths healthy
- How to access public dental care
Early Childhood Oral Health Program
This course is suitable for childcare workers, dental and medical practitioners, nurses, midwives and allied health professionals. Free online training is available to any professional working with children, and a supplementary face-to-face training is also available for Western Sydney Local Health District (WSLHD) staff.
More information below:
- E-Training Course available to any professional working with children: https://oralhealthlearning.health.nsw.gov.au/
- Supplementary face-to-face training for WSLHD Staff: request through My Health Learning - CHF1408 Early Childhood Oral Health (ECOH) Training Program
All other enquiries: WSLHD-ECOH@health.nsw.gov.au
(BOHRC) Online Training Program (currently in development)
Smoking and Tobacco Cessation
Our oral health clinicians are trained in smoking cessation and play an important role in supporting smokers, betel quid, and tobacco users to quit. For more information:
- I Can Quit – the NSW Health and Quitline support page
- Shisha No Thanks! – Find the answers to your most common questions about shisha smoking. A free online training module is available for community workers.
Helpful links and information
Links for Professionals