Counselling and support for you, your family and carers
- Being in hospital can be a stressful time for you, your family and carers if you are having a baby, having treatment or surgery
- We understand the emotional, social and practical needs you may have if you are pregnant, having a new baby, or have other women’s health problems such as fertility problems or cancer
- Talking to a trained social worker may help you to see your situation in a different way
- You, your family and carers may find it helpful speaking to a social worker for counselling and ideas about solving any problems you may be having
- We also have an Aboriginal Liaison Officer (ALO) to support Aboriginal families when they need health care at Westmead Hospital. [ALO support information]
- We see women and their families from many different cultural backgrounds
- We consider your cultural needs when we talk with you and your family
- Support can include referring you to a group that offers education or the opportunity to meet other people in a similar position to yourself.
- As part of your treating team, social workers can help with looking at the overall needs of you and your family. Social Workers can help you talk with your treating team about your needs, and any worries that you may have about your treatment affecting yourself and your family
- Social workers can also talk to other community services on your behalf (if you request.)
Social Workers can give you information about services that may be helpful to you while you are in hospital and after you go home.
Preparing to go home
Social Workers can talk with you, your family and carers and your health care team to help make a safe plan for you to go home.
Social Work Services in the Women’s & Newborn Health Service are available Monday to Friday, 8am until 4:30pm for non-urgent matters.
Westmead Hospital Social Work service provides an after-hours crisis service 7 days a week to support women and families who are experiencing a distressing event
If you would like to talk with a social worker, please tell your doctor, midwife or nurse. They will arrange for a social worker or Aboriginal Liaison Officer to see you.
You can call the Social Work Department by phoning Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm-
- Westmead Hospital (02) 8890-6699
- Auburn Hospital (02) 9563-9500
If we are unavailable to speak with you when you call we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Our Aboriginal Liaison Officer at Westmead Hospital is available Monday to Friday 8:00am to 4:30 pm and can be contacted on 0400-346-112 or call Westmead Hospital on 8890-55555 and asked them to page the ALO page 27365.