Nursing & Midwifery
Nursing and Midwifery Services in Western Sydney Local Health District (WSLHD) provides advice on professional activities in developing, monitoring, implementing and reporting on all aspects of policy and workforce issues, clinical initiatives and professional activities provided by nurses and midwives.
By overseeing the overall Western Sydney Local Health District nursing initiatives and representing on various committees both internal and externally, Nursing and Midwifery is able to influence the quality of care provided to patients, their carers/family, optimising health outcomes.
The mission statement for Nursing and Midwifery Services is to lead, guide and empower the Nursing and Midwifery workforce to deliver excellence in health care for our patients and community.
This is achieved by ensuring:
- the Nursing and Midwifery workforce employed is skilled and capable of meeting the service needs of the LHD and is representative of the roles and responsibilities inherent in healthcare for today and the future;
- optimum patient care is delivered by reviewing clinical practice with the focus on quality and safety, continuous improvement and person centred care;
- a professional development and innovative framework is available to support the development of clinical practice and patient care delivery that will provide an infrastructure for nurses and midwives to excel;
- predicted changes brought about by demographic patterns, patient profiles, clinical service trends and workforce characteristics mean that individual nurses and midwives need an innovative professional practice infrastructure;
- Nursing and Midwifery in the LHD collaborates in the development, implementation and review of policies, practices and partnerships needed to provide the professional practice infrastructure to further enhance nurses' and midwives' clinical practice;
- Nursing and Midwifery Services in the LHD works directly with facility Directors of Nursing and Midwifery from each hospital and community service to provide the nursing and midwifery leadership to fulfil the strategic goals of the Western Sydney Local Health District;
- Nursing and Midwifery is the single point of accountability for professional clinical practice and services provided by nurses and midwives employed across the Western Sydney Local Health District; and
Nursing and Midwifery is committed to providing the best service to nurses and midwives to facilitate leading standards of professional practices that will enhance the health of the population of Western Sydney Local Health District both now and into the future.