Aussie companies to grow health facilities at Blacktown Hospital
16 Feb 2017
Blacktown Hospital is set to become one of New South Wales’ largest hospitals following the award of tenders to construct a major new hospital building and additional parking on the Western Sydney site.
Two Australian companies will construct the new facilities, improving amenities and access to clinical services for the local community, and expanding the facility to become a major tertiary hospital for Western Sydney.
The new acute services building includes:
- Emergency department with increases in emergency and short stay beds and a psychiatric emergency care service
- Intensive care unit with additional capacity
- Eight new operating theatres and space for future expansion
- New purpose-built wards for expanded birthing (with a wellness model of care), maternity, women’s health, and newborn care
- New paediatric service with dedicated emergency department facilities, day stay and inpatient facilities
- Medical imaging, sterilising and non-clinical support services expansion.
AW Edwards was awarded the tender to construct the new acute services building at Blacktown Hospital which is scheduled to open in 2019.
The car park extension will open in 2017 and will be delivered by Taylor Constructions. Further car park expansion will deliver another 422 spaces for a total of more than 1,000 parking spaces on site.
Early works on the site are well underway and main works are expected to commence in mid-2017.
The new facilities are part of the Blacktown and Mount Druitt Hospitals Expansion Project (BMDH Project). Stage 2 includes further work at Mount Druitt Hospital including a new community dialysis services, operating theatre expansion and a new MRI.