Mental illness is a term for a group of illnesses that may include symptoms that can affect a person’s thinking, perceptions, mood, or behaviour.
Someone experiencing mental illness may find it difficult to cope with work, relationships, and other demands.
Common mental health issues include:
- Anxiety disorders
- Behavioural and emotional disorders in children
- Bipolar affective disorder
- Dissociation and dissociative disorders
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
This page lists the most common mental illnesses in more detail.