About the Program
Healthy students are better learners and schools are an ideal place for children to gain skills and experiences which encourage lifelong physical activity and healthy eating.
The LLW@S program trains and supports teachers to create a school culture where children can be active and eat well. This takes a whole of school approach, through classroom learning, school policy and connecting with families.
LLW@S is delivered through a partnership between the Department of Education and NSW Health and available to schools in all sectors teaching the K-6 curriculum. Western Sydney has its own LLW@S team that provides hands on support to local schools.
Since July 2008 80% of primary schools in Western Sydney have taken part in LLW@S training.
What does a LLW@S School Look Like?
Schools that engage in LLW@S are actively working towards:
- Classroom learning through the PDHPE curriculum including the explicit teaching of fundamental movement skills.
- Giving students access to equipment and space to be active in their lunch break
- A daily vegetable, fruit and water break during class time
- A supportive environment for healthy eating – including the school canteen
- Supporting families with information and ideas about healthy eating and physical activity
- Professional learning opportunities for teaching staff on promoting physical activity and healthy eating to students.
- Including strategies related to LLW@S in their planned approach to student wellbeing
- Promoting active travel to school
- Reporting on LLW@S strategies
What Support is Available to Schools?
Schools that engage in LLW@S have access to:
- professional learning
- Individualised face to face, email and phone support from the LLW@S team
- Information and ideas for addressing healthy eating and physical activity
- School canteen menu reviews and support to implement the NSW Healthy Canteen Strategy
- Support for planning LLW@S strategies in line with student wellbeing
- Regular LLW@S newsletters and snippets to include in school newsletters
Contact the Live Life Well @ School team
To get in touch with the LLW@S team, send us an email or give us a call.
Population Health Information Management System