Walking is the most popular exercise. It is free, good for the mind, body and the environment, and can be done by most people. So try to walk every day!
Walking just 30 minutes each day can help you to feel fitter, healthier, happier. To achieve this, try aiming for a 30 minute walk or three 10 minute walks within your day. Swap short car trips for walking.
Tips for increasing walking in your day
Walk for Travel
- Try swapping short car trips for walking
- Park further away from the shops, work, school or child care
- Take public transport
- Get off the bus or train a stop earlier
- Walk your children to school or the bus stop
- Try walking more errands e.g. to the post office or the grocery shop
Walk with your Friends or Family
- Start a walking challenge with your friends, family or colleagues
- Walk the dog more or offer to walk your neighbour’s dog
- Join a walking group
- Join a parkrun- free, weekly 5km walking or running events in Western Sydney
- Walk around the oval while your child is playing sport
- Plan to go for a walk with your friends or family instead of catching up over lunch
- Try using a pedometer to count your steps and aim to gradually increase your average daily steps
Walk at Work
- Take the stairs instead of the lift
- Try a walking meeting with your colleagues
- Walk during your lunch break
- Walk to a toilet that’s further away from your desk
- Walk to your colleagues desk instead of emailing them
- Set a reminder on your phone or computer to stand up and walk around the office every one to two hours
Walk to Work Day
Heart Foundation Walking Information
Join Heart Foundation Walking and take positive steps to help reduce stress, have a healthier body, build stronger relationships, and most of all, be happy!
Local Council Information
Parramatta Local Government Area
Walk Your 30 in the City of Parramatta! There are great places to walk and be active every day.
The Hills Local Government Area
Walk Your 30, get out and be active every day! The Hills Shire boasts a range of beautiful walking tracks.
Blacktown Local Government Area
Walk Your 30, get walking in Blacktown City. Popular places to walk include:
- Walking in Blacktown City, also available in Arabic, Chinese, Nepalese, Punjabi and Tamil.
- Blacktown Showground, Nurragingy Reserve, Woodcroft Lake Reserve, The Ponds, Federation Forest, International Peace Park, Ashley Brown Reserve, Brewongle Walkway, Oppy Reserve, Plumpton Park, RAAF memorial Park, Timbertop Reserve, William Lawson Park.
Cumberland Local Government Area
Walk Your 30 and be active every day in Cumberland. Find places to walk in Cumberland:
- Walk Your 30 Challenge 2018 Resources
During October 2018, Western Sydney Local Health District ran a ‘Walk Your 30’ initiative which aimed to encourage residents to walk more. We’re currently planning to make this initiative bigger and better in 2019!