Welcome to the University of Sydney, Department of Rheumatology at Westmead Hospital website.
We aim to
Our department provides both in-patient and out-patient facilities and research laboratories for the treatment and study of rheumatic conditions.
- teach clinical aspects of medical rheumatology to undergraduates, residents and vocational trainees. The unit has an advanced trainee programme that incorporates both a clinical, paediatric and research component.
- provide a centre of excellence for rheumatological research. The research we offer ranges from short projects (e.g. summer students, elective/option terms) to long-term MD/PhD projects.
- provide a tertiary clinical referral centre for the study and management of rarer and more complicated connective tissue disorders.
We are an active research unit with a number of different research projects. Our two broad areas of study are
- in the field of drug design
- the delivery and molecular biology of rheumatic disease
History of our department
An academic position was established in 1997 following a donation from NSW Arthritis to supplement existing University Sydney and Westmead Hospital funds to create a senior lecturer position. The driving force for the new position was NSW Arthritis commitment to its members, the hospitals need to provide a clinical service to a population of over one million people, and the increased University of Sydney demand for teaching the new graduate medical program.
Since then, our department has received ongoing support from NSW Arthritis. We in turn provide support to people living with arthritis/musculoskeletal problems in the western Sydney area, medical graduates, students and researchers.
Westmead Rheumatology Department Staff Contact Details 2019
For appointments or enquiries for Private Consulting Rooms: (02) 8890 8099 or fax referral (02) 8890 8317
For appointments for University Clinic (Medicare Bulk-Billed): (02) 8890 6544 or fax referral (02) 8890 8333
Looking for General