You've been asked to arrange a consult, but who do you ring and what will they insist on knowing?
The guideline below gives handy tips for each specialty. Just click on the department you are interested in.
Some universal advice includes:
- Get in early - no registrar will thank you for a new consult at 4:30 in the afternoon
- Formulate your question in advance - what question do you need answering? If unsure check with your registrar
- Know your patient - don't ring up without knowing the important details of their history and without having examined them
- Remember ISBAR - & get the important information out early
- Anticipate what the team being consulted will want to know - and that's why the guidelines below exist
The Consult Handbook is now located on the JMO App - Click Here
Looking for General
Need to make a room booking?