WSLHD Youth Council
Western Sydney Local Health District (WSLHD) acknowledges the importance of youth participation. We support young people being active in decision-making processes for issues that affect their healthcare.
Mission of Youth Participation in WSLHD
WSLHD wants to engage young people as partners in their health-care. We value empowerment, purposeful engagement and inclusiveness, and have a mission to:
- develop the voice of adolescent and young adult health in western Sydney
- increase young people’s understanding of health and improve health literacy
- contribute to the development of youth focused health services
- make recommendations and suggestions to enhance current health services in western Sydney
- advocate on planning, development, integration and implementation of policy development and programs for young people
Opportunities for Youth Participation in WSLHD
We are seeking young people aged between 16 to 24 years of age to have their say about local health services. There are two options to get involved – apply to join our Youth Council, or our online Youth Reference Group.
Apply to join the WSLHD Youth Council:
- the Youth Council’s role is to provide information and local perspectives on how to improve the health of young people in western Sydney
- members assist with the planning, management and delivery of projects
- we provide opportunities to develop leadership and public speaking skills, whilst facilitating attendance to youth health forums, conference and expos.
*Please note that applying to the Youth Council requires a time commitment. We meet monthly at 6.30-8.30pm on a Wednesday night at Westmead Hospital. Members are also required to contribute in between meetings through a WhatsApp group.
Apply to join our online Youth Reference Group:
- members will be invited to provide feedback on local health plans, strategies and service proposals
- complete surveys to give your feedback and insights on certain issues or topics
- be informed and kept up to date about the health services available for young people in western Sydney.
"The young people we are looking for want to give voice to youth and their health needs. They want the opportunity to be involved in the decisions made by the health service. We not only respect and acknowledge diversity but also promote representation in the group. Our aim is to improve how health services in western Sydney are delivered
to young people."
How do I get involved?
If you are aged between 16-24 years old and live, work, study or have used health services in western Sydney, please complete an expression of interest.
If you’d like more information about these opportunities please contact:
WSLHD Youth Transition Project Officer
Phone: 02 8860 2500
Mobile: 0437 425 249