Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine clinical and consultative services are primarily focussed on patients admitted to the Adolescent Ward and those attending the Adolescent Ambulatory Care (Outpatient) Centre at Westmead Hospital. Outreach services are also provided on referral to adolescent patients with complex health needs who are unable to be accommodated in the Adolescent Ward during their admission at Westmead Hospital.
The multidisciplinary Adolescent Team is a world leader in diagnosis, nutritional rehabilitation and management of medically compromised young people with anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders.
As well as disordered eating adolescents, the Adolescent Ambulatory Care Clinics also service some patients with medically complicated learning and attentional disorders, psychosomatic illnesses and other complex health problems requiring a multidisciplinary approach to care.
Comprehensive care is achieved through a multidisciplinary team approach to medical management and individual and family assessments and therapy. This multidisciplinary approach includes:
- age appropriate medical and nursing assessments and age appropriate care
- adolescent and family assessments, counselling and therapy
- psycho education for young people and their parents
- assistance with transitional care planning to adult services
- discharge planning and networking with other community services
- teleconferencing support is also offered to regional and rural areas of New South Wales to assist local staff in managing complex eating disordered adolescent patients in their own area health services whenever possible.
At risk youth
Medical staff also provide a medical outreach clinic located at High Street Youth Health Service in Harris Park. This community based youth health service offers basic needs, medical, psychiatric, counselling and educational support to homeless or at risk youth.
For more information on this service please contact High Street Youth Health Service at Harris Park on (02) 8860 2500.